Benefit FAQs

Health Insurance

How do I enroll in or make qualifying event changes to my Health Insurance Coverage?

New employees or those enrolling in Health Insurance during the Annual Open Enrollment Period and those making qualifying event changes during the plan year must do so by visiting the SHBP Enrollment Portal at The SHBP Enrollment Portal is available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. SHBP Member Services can also be reached Monday - Friday, 8:30 5:00 1-800-610-1863.


When can I make changes to my Health Insurance coverage?

For a qualifying event, access  Within 31 days of the event, sign in with the username and password that you used at Open Enrollment.  Declare a qualifying event and follow the online instructions. Any other change would have to occur during the Annual Open Enrollment period. 


What are examples of qualifying events?

Examples of a qualifying event include marriage, birth/adoption of a child, divorce, loss of all eligible dependents and loss/acquisition of spouse’s group coverage.


How do I get more information on the various options for health insurance?

You can visit the Human Resources Benefits section of the DNR Intranet and view the Active Employees Decision Guide or visit the Department of Community Health website at and click on the State Health Benefit Plan link.


Can I continue my health insurance coverage after I leave DNR?

Upon separation, you will receive a letter from SHBP detailing the C.O.B.R.A. benefits available to you. Typically a separating employee is eligible for 18 – 36 months of coverage.


If I have a health insurance claim denied, what can I do?

To access information on filing an appeal, visit the Department of Community Health website and go to the Summary Plan Description for your plan. Use the Table of Contents to locate the correct section for claims appeals and follow the instructions for your plan.


Who do I contact if I have specific plan questions?

If your health insurance provider is Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia, you can visit or call 1-855-641-4862. If your provider is United Healthcare, visit or call 1-888-364-6352. If your provider is Kaiser Permanente, visit or call 1-855-512-5997.


Flexible Benefits

Who do I contact if I have flexible benefits questions?

The Flexible Benefits Program is administered by GaBreeze. You may contact them directly at 1-877-342-7339 or via their website at